Thursday, September 30, 2010

God Bless the Soldiers


In the song Chicken Fried by Zach Brown Band towards the end they sing :
I thank god for my life
And for the stars and stripes
May freedom forever fly, let it ring.
Salute the ones who died
And the ones that gave their lives so we don't have to sacrifice
All the things we love
Like our chicken fried
Every time I hear that part of the song it touches my soul. I like many of you have friends & family who are serving our country & I pray for them & wish they wouldn't have to do what they are doing. I recently read a story thanks to a good friend of mine about recent trend in our troops who are committing suicide. Its unfortunate, disheartening to say the least. I wish that there was more that I could do. If ever I'm out & I see someone in their BDU's (Battle Dress Uniforms the tannish green camo uniforms as they are most commonly known) whether they are on their way to basic training or coming home from a long tour I thank them. They do something that I can't do & I greatly appreciate & respect them. I get upset that in some cases they go & fight & are told one thing but in reality they are fighting for another. I keep the policlinics in their proper place & always try & thank every solider I see. I don't know if it will help them anymore or less but I do it with the hope & belief that it does. So right now I want to thank each & every one of the soldiers who have given up an easy life for one of violence, & pain. I posted something on my facebook status about 24 yr old Lindsay Lohan being a drug addicted actress & how much media attention she gets when there are soldiers who have made the ultimate scarf ice and they don't get nearly enough attention & their lives are much more significant to society. Don't get me wrong I pray that Lohan gets her life together as well but more love needs to be shown to the men & women that serve our great nation.
SALUTE! (please say a prayer to WHOEVER you pray to for the families of the troops as well)
I had a rough morning or SO I thought. The 38C GREENTREE bus was late today, I mean like 20-30 minutes late! So I'm downtown waiting in the rain bottom of my jeans soaked, my boots soaked my sweater soggy. I'm mentally cursing out Port Authority & everyone involved with the recent cuts there. I ended up catching a 37 Ridgemont bus and walking a about a mile & a half to work in the rain. I'm walking & my leg is killing me & I'm angry I ended up being about 25 minutes late to work. I sat down logged in & after reading this article
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/29/texas.fort.hood.deaths/index.html
I realize that my short walk wasn't that bad compared to what these soldiers endure on a daily basis. I get that I'm not over in Iraq in the heated sands carrying an M16 & a pack on my back that is all I have to keep me alive for as long as it can. I get that I'm going to go home today sit on my couch, kiss my kids, eat good food & make love to my wife (maybe). I'm not going to learn to sleep with my eyes open or sleep in 2-3 hour shifts IF THAT! But considering all of that COULD BE my life or worse I'm quite thankful. Next time your upset consider the fact that I bet you know someone who's situation is drastically more difficult than yours & I bet you'll feel better about that situation. I'm going to try to do my best to remember those who have given their life for us today I salute this young man

No comments:

Post a Comment